Saturday, May 21, 2011

ICON ART

The Harley is an American icon and artform... the only artform that can wake me up at 4 a.m. thundering past my home. I catch and immortalize this American Dream in rich HB pencil on 3M™ Herculene drafting film. The surface is like sandpaper, and the pencil "grinds" into it in a thick layer that drawing-paper can't achieve.

I've always loved bikes and chrome, and could draw just about any production cycle from memory, back when I was a teenager (remember Hodaka?). Riding has been a different story. Unfortunately, I have the innate ability to put a bike on top of myself whenever I try to do the opposite. I can lay a moped down on an empty Cozumel beach without a drop of tequila in my system. again and again. Some of us were seriously not meant to ride. only appreciate. Not that I haven't wrecked a lot of 4-wheeled shit, but I digress...

I'll be showing some pieces at an upcoming exhibit where there will be no spring-rolls, merlot, or light Baroque quartets. The WorkingMan's Motorcycle and Art Show will feature bikes, music, art, and vendors. Art will be hung on the chainlink fence, and wine will only be served from the brown paper bag. See details at: http://theworkingmansmotorcycleandartsh.blogspot.com and pray for the skinny artboy. My last bike-art show was in 1973 at Laguna Gloria Fiesta. I actually sold a few pieces. with avacado-green mats. damn.

No comments: